IT Technician Job Description
A IT technician job description can mean anything from overseeing the activities meant to support the network, mainframe or microcomputer computing field. They install and maintain everything related to these environments, including software, hardware and networks. They must be aware of the procedures, practices, methods, regulations, policies and all other laws related to the fields. They can also provide end user assistance and training whenever necessary.
A more detailed IT technician jobs description will look something like this:
Perform installations, maintenance and repair work on any computer related equipment that supports the business from laptops, desktops, communications equipment (digital & IP phones), tablets (ex. iPad’s), smart phones (ex. Blackberry’s, iPhone’s, Android’s), printers, local area networks, wide area networks, any piece of computer related peripheral or software an end user would be using. An IT technician has to perform the majority of the mentioned tasks while providing a high level of customer service to the user.
The job responsibilities of an IT technician can be classified as follows.
1. Monitoring and maintaining technology for maximum access, which includes:
a. Connecting and setting up hardware
b. Installing work stations
c. Loading all necessary software
d. Providing network access and connectivity to the staff
e. Monitoring security
f. Installing and maintaining passwords and Foolproof
g. Advising staff about any security breach such as change in password
h. Ensuring that lock out programs are installed
i. Troubleshooting all issues in a timely manner
j. Maintaining IP addresses
k. Maintaining a list of necessary maintenance and repairs
l. Researching both current and potential services and resources
m. Making recommendations about the purchase of resources
n. Identifying and preparing hardware for safe disposal
o. Ensuring hardware is secured and stripped before disposal
2. Ensuring technology is equipped with the latest hardware and software and is accessible,
where the main activities are:
a. Troubleshooting network operating system, software and hardware
b. Being familiar with network operating system, software and hardware
c. Work within a ticketing system and create documentation for new processes
d. Training staff to maximize the potential of existing technology
e. Taking new users through the orientation process
f. Providing individual support and training upon request
g. Providing recommendations about support and information access
h. Maintaining an updated inventory of software, hardware and resources
i. Demonstrated aptitude for continuous learning and innovative thinking
j. Able to work independently and in a team environment
k. Strong written, oral and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate with outside vendors and internal staff.
3. Performing any other IT related duties during working hours and when necessary sometimes after hour on-call work.
Most organizations have a wide array of technologies to support which mostly consist of the following:
- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 7 operating systems
- Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010
- Microsoft Exchange, Outlook email client
- IBM Lotus Domino & Lotus Notes email client
- Novell Groupwise
IT Technician & Desktop Certifications:
- CompTIA: Computer Technology Industry Association
- A+: Certified Computer Technician
- MCITP: Microsoft Certified IT Professional
- MCTS: Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist
• University degree or college diploma in computer science or one year’s equivalent work experience
• Extensive experience of computers and servers or at least MCSE 2000 qualification
• Thorough understanding of PC and network hardware
• Experience in hands-on hardware troubleshooting
• Experience in equipment support
• Working technical knowledge of the latest operating systems, network protocols and standards.
• Ability to read all relevant documents, including OEM guides, procedural documentation and technical manuals and understand them well.
• Ability to use peripheral accessories, components and other related tools.
• Ability to carry relevant research
• Ability to perform tasks and prioritize in high-pressure environments
• Attention to detail
• A good understanding of the organization’s objectives
• Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills
• Good customer-service orientation
• Physical Demands: IT technicians spend a lot of time sitting, which may lead to muscle strain. They are also required to lift computer equipment, materials and supplies.
• Environmental Conditions: The IT technicians must be prepared for interruptions as they manage several projects simultaneously. They may work under noisy and busy
environments. They need time, stress and organizational management skills.
• Sensory Demands: Using computers for extended periods may lead to eyestrain and headaches. It may also be challenging to concentrate when working in noisy and busy
• Mental Demands: Since the IT technicians will deal with frustrated clients who require their services immediately, the work environment may be rather stressful.
There are several certifications and hands on training courses that can be found in most educational institutes, training facilities and software companies. These certifications can be obtained to make sure IT Technicians are always up to date with the latest versions of software, hardware and operating systems. Many of these certifications build on each other and some are more suitable for more experienced IT Technicians. Who then can pursue a Systems Administrators position, which administer and support the infrastructure and servers that the desktops and laptops connect too. One can even pursue a Network Administrator position. This individual would be in charge of the network itself, everything from the switch, routers and connectivity for the entire infrastructure. Getting the proper training, experience under your belt and becoming certified can provide a wide array of opportunities, higher paying jobs and an exciting career in the Information Technology sector which is always in demand.